Scheduling involves two main groups of people: employees and scheduling managers. To efficiently schedule employees, both need to have mutual trust and cooperate with each other. Trust is built when both parties operate with a sense of responsibility towards their own duties and are considerate towards each other.
Let’s start with how employees could help improve the scheduling process.
- Prompt communicating of availability – chasing for availability is not only a chore for managers but also demonstrates a lack of responsibility from the staff in question
- Commit to allocated schedule – being late, especially for opening shifts, could cost the company in revenue and last minute back-outs make it difficult for managers to find a replacement. As for no-show cases, let’s just not go there.
- Be reliable – if giving excuses becomes a pattern, it is hard for managers to trust that staff, making the process of scheduling uncomfortable for all individuals involved
While most employees are well-meaning and have no intention of making the manager’s job difficult, the nature of communication mediums these days inherently make it difficult to plan and communicate. Using an integrated platform to get availabilities and schedule staff is a good decision every business should consider.
Apart from investing in a good scheduling management software, here are some things managers could do to improve the scheduling process.
- Use don’t abuse – On-call scheduling, last minute cancellations, confirming schedules in the last minute and extending employee shifts is bad practise and disrespectful towards the staff’s time. It should always be kept to a minimum and only done as a last resort in emergency situations
- Communicate expectations clearly – Different individuals have different interests and in order to operate as a unit with staff, clearly communicate expectations so that everyone is on the same page
- Reward well-performing staff – A little bit of appreciation always goes a long way! Be sure to reinforce good behaviour with incentives to keep everyone motivated
- Track efficiency – As a manager, it is important to optimise staffing to prevent both understaffing and overstaffing(inefficient use of resources) situations
Efficient scheduling management is the product of good teamwork between managers and staff. Having an integrated scheduling software that manages scheduling, tracking of clock-in and clock-out records and timesheets makes it easier for everyone to focus on the job at hand rather than constantly worrying about logistics.